July was such a busy month, not only for this blog, but also for our family! My husband and I celebrated our very first wedding anniversary (!!!), signed up for all of our college classes next semester, and our son turned 8 months old! He’s getting so big, can’t believe it’s been 8 months already!
Unfortunately, my husband also tore his meniscus at the beginning of the month so I spent nearly all of July taking care of him. Because of this, I didn’t really think I would have any time to post anything or work on the blog, so I had no idea what to expect for this month’s income report.
Last month, I made my first affiliate sale and posted my very first income report, and as a blogger you want to see growth and improvement, so if I did poorly this month I would feel like I was taking a step backwards, not forward.
Luckily, I really exceeded my expectations for July, in more ways than one! And I have you guys to thank for it! Truly, I couldn’t be more ecstatic about this blog’s progress so far, and hopefully this report helps you guys in your own blogging endeavors! So, if you’re ready to take a look at how I made $55.59 from blogging and increased my sales by more than 9 times what it was last month, let’s get started!
Want to start your own blog? Check out this simple guide to start making money today!
Goals for July
- Create an Archives page- Success! Hopefully this Archives page makes it easier for you guys to view all of my posts in one place!
- Reach 25,000 page views- Success! Okay, I am pretty proud to say I knocked this one out of the park. In June I had 11,000 views and now I’ve got over 50,000! Next time I’ll try for a much bigger number because I didn’t expect to get so many views so quickly!
- Have 25 people sign up for my e-mail list- Success! I’m truly so excited that so many people actually like hearing what I have to say (or rather, reading what I have to type!) Really, it means a lot to me, and one of my next goals is to start up my newsletters and interacting more with you guys through email, so be on the lookout for that!
- Put up 2 blog posts this month- Success! Yay! One of my upcoming goals is to start some sort of calendar with a list of blog post ideas/schedule, so I can keep up better with my blogging routine.
- Rewrite How to Start a Blog (In Just 15 Minutes!) and some other posts- Success! Well, kind of. I did manage to rewrite my How to Start a Blog post, but I also took down a few other posts that I am still working on revamping. (My last post was actually another post that I took down and redid!)
- Earn $50 from this blog in July- Success! Wahoo! Blogging is more of a creative outlet for me, but honestly it is nice earning a little bit of income from it as well, especially since our family is living off of one income at the moment.
Traffic was so surprising this month. One of my goals was to hit 25,000 total views on my blog, and I actually doubled that number! Crazy!!
In my last income report, I talked about how my page views spiked for about a week and then went back down. So my goal for July was to achieve a more consistent roll of traffic. As you can see below, July was definitely more consistent!
Consistent traffic is so important for a blog, especially if you want to monetize. A big portion of money comes from passive income, which can’t be reliable if you’ve got 1,000 views one day and 10 the next, y’know?
Luckily, this month my page views actually stayed pretty consistent. I did have a few lulls throughout the month, but nowhere near what it was like last month! Almost every day had over 1,000 views, which I am so happy with!
While I wasn’t sure how posting was going to go this month because of all the craziness around the house, luckily I had a few posts already halfway done so I wasn’t behind.
Also, as I’m sure some of you guys have noticed, I changed my theme this month. Unfortunately, after I changed my theme, the share counter on all of my posts have reset! Total bummer, because this post had over 20k shares on Pinterest, but now it says 160 shares. (On a side note, if anyone knows how to fix the counter, contact me here or let me know in the comments!)
Most Popular Posts in July:
This looks so similar to last month’s top posts, and I think there’s a reason for that.
As I learn more and gain more blogging experience, I’m beginning to find what works for me and what doesn’t. Determining a niche has always been a little difficult, but as I write on more and more diverse topics, I’m beginning to find that bullet journal topics are just so appealing, and I think that’s why my top posts are bullet journal-related.
Looking towards the future of this blog, I am even considering changing from a lifestyle blogger to a bullet journal blogger. But we’ll see!
Last but certainly not least is my blog income for the month of July. As I said earlier, my goal was to earn $50, which I did (yay!)
Affiliate marketing and ads were my biggest sources of income, although hopefully someday that changes. While these are the easiest ways to make money on a new blog, you’re basically only getting a small portion of a much larger sale. In other words, you’re the middleman.
In the future, I’d like to start doing more sponsored posts, or create my own content and share it with you guys. This will be down the road though, as I’m still refining my brand and niche!
Amazon Affiliates- $37.80
I’m thrilled that my Amazon affiliate marketing strategy has really paid off this month! While there is still some tweaking that needs to be done, at least I’m taking baby steps in the right direction.
Since July was a super busy month, I did very few surveys. However, I’m still pretty happy that I was able to make this much from very little effort! Swagbucks is increasing in popularity, and now they even have an app for your phone! That makes it much easier to take surveys on the go. If you’d like to sign up, you can do so here!
Google Adsense- $13.00
Like I mentioned earlier, changing my theme messed up a lot of things on my blog, including my ads from google. They got erased from my site, so for a whole week I was getting nothing from Adsense. Bummer.
Because of this, and a few other things, I’ve been considering taking ads off of this blog completely. They seem to be too much of a hassle, and it’s not a very big payout. Plus, reader satisfaction is top priority, and sometimes ads can be annoying!
One of my goals last month was to rewrite this blog post, with the intent of making a more coherent and simple post, and earning more from my Bluehost affiliate link. While I still haven’t earned anything from this affiliate yet, I did manage to get more people to click through to my link. So it’s still kind of a win.
If you want to start a blog that makes money, I would really suggest getting a self-hosted blog through Bluehost (you can read my reasons why here.) I know, it’s an investment in your blog (and yourself) but I am so happy I did it. As you can see, I’m already making money from my blog, so it really is worth it!
Total for July: $55.59
Goals for August
- Create a Resources library– I’ve been doing a lot of research on increasing that e-mail list, so I’d like to make an opt-in freebie to hopefully increase those number of sign-ups! Not sure if I’ll get everything in place by next month, but we’ll see.
- Reach 100,000 page views– Because I really exceeded my expectations last month, I’m going to shoot for a higher goal this time. This seems so unlikely, but hey, a girl can dream!
- Earn $100 from this blog– Even this number feels like a crazy amount to shoot for, but hey, I’m still surprised I made $50 this month!
- Start drafting a free blogging course– This is something I’ll be putting on the back-burner, as I’ve got a few other priorities to settle first, but this is something that will be coming up in the near future.
- Draft out ideas for a giveaway– I wanted to do a giveaway for when I reached 50,000 page views, but I didn’t think I’d hit the mark so quickly! A giveaway is still going to be under way, but I’ll need more time to set it all up!
Can’t wait to see this blog’s progress next month! If you’ve got any questions let me know below or contact me here and I’ll help as best I can! Have a good week everyone 🙂
This post may contain affiliate links. That just means that if you buy a product through my link, I may get a small commission. This does not increase the price for you at all, and sometimes it may even save you money! For more information, click here.